Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Just A Question For A Convicted Killer



Richard Wade Cooey is sentenced to die October 2 for the brutal murder of two students at the University of Akron in 1986.

You may remember him as the Killer Who Was Too Fat to Die.

Cooey, who at 5'7" tips the scale at 275 pounds, claims he should avoid execution because his weight will make it too difficult and painful for prison personnel to locate a vein to administer the lethal injection.

So here's my question: Do you think he would object to the IV needle if medical personnel were trying to save his life instead of end it?

Nah, me neither.

A suggestion for Gov. Strickland's Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections: Let's put Mr. Cooey on a strict diet. You could even commute his sentence for a few months so he could slim down to, say, 150 pounds.

3 comments:

Observer said...

While not as extreme Mr. Cooey I am also a largish individual. Recently I underwent some minor surgery where anesthesia was administered. Rather than a vein in the arm the anesthesiologist chose a vein in my hand as point of entry. I would expect this would work for Mr. Cooey as well.

There is something fundamentally wrong with a prison system that allows the two extremes of physical conditioning often found in our prisons. What is the logic behind allowing people with histories of violence virtually unlimited access to body building equipment?

Dustin Hornbeck said...

I have taught in a prison, and it seems like a place where there is no lack of fatty food. Prisoners have the opportunity to enjoy the same foods and pleasures as citizens. I find this in itself a bad practice. Someone who is in the prison system should not have the freedom to be fat, hence the term, prisoner. I completely agree with the “strict diet plan” idea.

Chuck Brown said...

Or we could possibly just arrange a game of darts with Mr. Cooey as a target. I mean...is that cruel and unusual? What's so different between that and a game of paintball? ;-)

My Zimbio
Top Stories